Your vascular health is a complex element of overall body wellness, and it’s one that we don’t often think about when taking care of our bodies. Thankfully, vascular surgeons and vein specialists, like the Ozark Regional Vein & Artery Center experts, can help resolve any venous or arterial issues that arise.
That said, there are some easy ways you can take care of your body without intervention.
Conservative vein care in Rogers with the Ozark Regional Vein & Artery Center is an easy way to improve your vascular health. It allows you to maintain overall circulatory health and minimize the need for vascular surgeons or vein specialists down the line. After all, your health is our priority.
How can you take an active role in your conservative vein care?
Our advice is simple: take care of your body.
Much of the stress we place upon our circulatory system is, with attention, easily fixed. That’s where conservative vein care comes in. Making health-conscious choices can be the difference between a robust, healthy circulatory system and unwanted pain and achiness managed through repeated vein treatments.
If you’re looking for more specific steps you can take to improve your vein health, here are a few activities you can do to improve venous insufficiency and overall circulation:
- Avoid Smoking. Smoking is one of the worst things you can do for your vascular system, so our first piece of advice is to stop smoking immediately. Smoking contributes to the buildup of plaque in the arteries, and nicotine contributes to the thinning of veins. These two effects in isolation, let alone in tandem, have severe impacts on your circulatory health.
- Eat Healthier. Diet is a major contributing factor to venous health. Foods high in fats and cholesterol increase blood pressure, so eating healthy is essential in improving your health: more fruits and vegetables, less red meat, and dairy. Make sure to regulate salt consumption because high quantities of sodium can lead to the stiffening of your blood vessels. You should also make sure to eat smaller portions in individual sittings to reduce stress on your circulatory system.
- Exercise. Exercising is a great way to improve venous insufficiency, as it gets blood flowing which can mitigate blood pooling in your veins. Walking and cardiovascular exercise are especially beneficial.
- Wear compression stockings. Compression socks or stockings apply constant light pressure to your legs, gently forcing blood up the veins in your legs through the applied pressure. Compression stockings may help alleviate the blood reflux that leads to discomfort.
- Elevate your legs. Elevating your legs while sitting down can naturally help the blood flow toward the heart, as your veins won’t have to work against gravity. This can improve circulation and lessen blood reflux in your legs.
- Lose Weight. This item is the most difficult. Being overweight can significantly strain your circulatory system, as it requires more work to move blood around your body. Losing weight is a vital step to improve circulatory function and overall vein health.
Note: It’s important to remember that none of these behaviors should replace consulting a healthcare provider or vein specialist if you are worried about your vascular health.
Learn more about conservative management for leg veins →
Get the Support You Need for At-Home Care
It’s essential to stay involved in your vascular care. After all, no doctor knows your body as well as you do. Make sure to stay educated and listen to your body as you pursue conservative vein care!
The Ozark Regional Vein & Artery Center is the only practice in Northwest Arkansas that provides all the highest quality vein and artery treatments available. Dr. Haney and the expert staff at the Ozark Regional Vein & Artery Center in Rogers have over 75 years of combined experience in the industry. People come to Dr. Haney from all over Northernwestern Arkansas, from Fayetteville to Bentonville, to ensure they receive the best concierge-level care and leg vein procedures available.
After all, helping people is what we do, and it is our mission to provide the people of Northwestern Arkansas and beyond with the absolute best care possible. Our expertise and focus on patient education help us to achieve tangible results every time.
Take the first step towards better artery care in Rogers with our Instant Vein & Artery Screening Quiz or by scheduling a consultation.